Skip to main content

St. Matthew's United Church of Christ records

Identifier: 777

Content Description

The records of St. Matthew’s United Church of Christ pre-date its founding as the German Evangelical Church of Carrollton in 1849 and continue until 2003 prior to Hurricane Katrina and its merger with Central Congregational United Church of Christ in 2007. The records consist of ledger books for member rolls, baptisms, confirmations, and deaths, as well as finances. There are extensive minutes for the church’s Consistory (1827-1982), as well as Consistory correspondence. Council minutes and committee reports cover the era of the 1930s to the 1990s. Additionally, there are files for pastors James Smelly (1993-1998) and Allan Eickelmann (1988-1993). The earliest documents within the records are constitutions and by-laws dating from 1824. Lastly, the records contain a set of files for the South Central Conference of the United Church of Christ (1974-1991)


  • Other: 1824-2003



30.00 Linear Feet

Language of Materials


Condition Description

Fair to good condition.

St. Matthew's United Church of Christ records
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note

Repository Details

Part of the Amistad Research Center Repository

6823 Saint Charles Avenue
Tilton Hall, Tulane University
New Orleans LA 70118 US
(504) 862-3222